Happy Wednesday, All!
I’m coming off of two consecutive snow days from school and absolutely loving it! It’s been nice to work from home for the past few days; sipping coffee in my pj’s on the couch and grading the seemingly endless pile of exams in front of me is absolutely delightful. Lucy has been keeping my feet warm while I work.
I’ve also had some time to experiment in the kitchen! I’ve had to be creative because I can’t get to the grocery store because of the snow. This recipe was dreamed up because it was what I had in the pantry. I hope you like it!
A Brunch Sandwich: Ham, Egg & Gruyere on Toast
- 1 egg
- 2 slices thinly sliced deli ham (I used Trader Joe’s Rosemary Ham)
- thinly sliced Gruyère cheese (Swiss or Gouda would work, too!)
- 2 pieces of bread, toasted (I used multigrain.)
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise (more or less, to taste)
- 1 tbsp. whole grain mustard
- salt + pepper, to taste
1. Toast two pieces of bread.
2. Heat frying pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat a frying pan with non-stick spray (butter, margarine or olive oil work, too). Crack egg into pan and add salt + pepper to taste. When bottom of egg is solid, break yolk. Fry 2-3 minutes until ready to flip.
3. Flip egg. Add ham to pan (alongside the egg). Place cheese on top of egg. When ham is hot, place on top of cheese to melt. Let egg cook until cheese is melted and yolk is firm (but not dry).
4. While egg, ham and cheese are frying, spread mayonnaise on one side of bread, then spread mustard on top of mayo. Transfer egg, ham and cheese to plain bread, cover with the mayo and mustard slice.